Just about got all the remnants of the old quarter panel off. Unfortunately I found a giant rotten spot behind the drip rail.
Finished the rough cutting
Got a little more cut out
I melted the lead out of the quarter panels, salvaged the deck lid hinges, and the quarter panel braces. Then I started to remove the quarters.
Back at it
Maintenance work on the vehicles took a day longer than I thought it would. Anyway, started work on the back this afternoon. Just wait until you see how much I cut out tomorrow.
The cowl is officially done
Still needs a little "fluffing and buffing", but that will happen after the firewall gets nailed in.
Cowls all welded up
Didn't get as far as I wanted today. Had a spot that I missed with the drip check, so I had to wait a bit for that to dry before I could nail on the side cowls. Now to just clean up the welds a little and some paint and I move to the back.
Might be a couple of days before I post again. I have to do some much needed vehicle maintenance.
Close to being done with the cowl
I think the wiper patch turned out pretty good. The red stuff is spot putty. I'm filling small imperfections while the drip check (seam sealer) drys in the cowl. The outer cowls will get welded on tomorrow when the drip check is nice and solid.
I almost forgot. I ordered the paint for this thing today. All the sheet metal is going to have to be perfect, because I ordered Gloss Jet Black.
All nailed in
Finished nailing in the upper cowl yesterday. I started cleaning up the welds yesterday afternoon and just finished now. This afternoon I will try to put some lead in the couple of low spots around the wiper hole.
A little closer
Managed to get the cowl to fender brackets burned in and painted part of the cowl that will never see daylight again. I also managed to start nailing this thing on.
2711 Mooresville Rd